Bubblegum Soap - Part 3 - Bubblegum EXPLOSION!

For this soap I was going to need a 2.5 pound loaf mold. So, my wonderful husband made one for me


I think one of my favorite things about my wood molds is that my husband puts hinges and latches on them so that they fit snug and are super easy to line with freezer paper. Yes, I'm spoiled and I totally love it :)

Now that I have my embeds done, it's time to make this batch. I was going back and forth as to whether or not I should use micas in the actual soap batch itself. But, because I was already nervous enough about this batch, I decided to save the micas for the top mixed with oil. Here they are ready to go:


This batch of soap was the most elaborate and labor intensive batch I've made to date and it allowed me to experience a lot of "firsts".

First time using avocado oil
First time using titanium dioxide
First time using sodium lactate
First time decorating the top with micas in oil
First time making and using MP embeds
First time using a loaf mold

You can imagine, my head was spinning from all the different things that I needed to remember!!! Oh, and let's add to the drama by using 25% goat's milk in this batch too, shall we? I love how goats milk makes my skin feel, so why not throw it in for good measure.

First I made my lye water and put it outside to cool. Then I mixed my oils together and waited for them to cool as well. I already knew I wanted to soap at room temperature so I would have the maximum time possible to pour my batter just in case the batter accelerated for any reason. To my oils I added the goat milk and my bubblegum FO from WSP and stick blended this together. I then added my titanium dioxide to the oils and mixed that well too.

After my lye water cooled I added the sodium lactate to it and stirred it well. I added the lye water to the oils and began to mix it up. OMG, I thought I was going to cry because it immediately seized up to a thick trace. But, I just kept stickblending and the batter thinned out again. It was my first time experiencing false trace so I was pretty freaked out :)


It took FOREVER for this batter to even come close to a thin trace. Seriously, at least 8-10 minutes of stick blending. My stick blender was actually getting really warm due to overheating. So, the good news is...I know the batter is truly mixed well. It was time to get started!!!


I poured about 1/3 of the batter into the mold and then my hubby helped by randomly putting in the gumball embeds I created earlier this morning. Then it was time for another 1/3 of the batter and more embeds. Finally, I finished it off with more batter. Here are a few pictures of the process:




Now it was time to decorate the top. I began by putting droplets of micas in oil on the top. My original plan was to make some delicate design. But I found myself unable to stop putting colors on the top! It began almost looking like splatter paint which I actually think I liked.



I totally could have just left it like this...but not me...I had to get a bamboo skewer and try some fancy swirling. Since we're doing an ebru challenge this month for the Great Cakes Soapworks Challenge, I took the opportunity to give something a try.



Here's the final outcome! I absolutely WILL NOT take this out of the fridge until at least tomorrow morning. Then, it will sit UNLOOKED AT until I get home from work. This is going to be a challenge, but I don't want to destroy my hard work.

After I'd filled the mold to the top with the batter I realized that I had made too much. I forgot that the embeds were going to take up space so I really didn't need all the batter I'd just made. I gave the rest to my hubby to play with. And...play he did!!! He made a mini-hanger tool out of a piece of copper wire and started going crazy with his soap mold:






Post a Comment