Bubblegum Soap - Part 2: The Gumball Creation

I was really excited last night when I put the gumball embed soap to bed. But, when I went to make the embeds....THIS happened:



Dull...dull....DULL!!!!

UGH!!! I totally expected these to really pop and look much more shiny than they did. Disappointed isn't the word that I'd even use to describe my frustration...I'm down right MAD! My 16 year old put it best when he said "Mom...they look like PlayDoh". Yup...he's right..EXACTLY like PlayDoh.

I was especially disappointed to see these:

Not quite what I was going for....

These were supposed to be bright pink. But, when I started to smush the soap to form the gumballs, I started seeing little pockets of titanium dioxide that I'd used to lighten up the dark pink of the mica. So, the more I rolled it, the lighter it got. But, it's not a total wash. I'll use all of these CP colors to create another soap. Not too worried about it anymore.

The reason I'm not worried is because I came up with a solution to my problem. I used white melt and pour soap instead. One thing I didn't have to work with was a round embed mold. So, I ended up logging on to my Facebook group to ask how I could salvage this project. It was suggested to use a little glycerin mixed into the melt and pour soap in order to allow some time to play with it in my hands before it completely solidified. Luckily, I had this in a box in my soap room. I used the glycerin to mix the mica and then poured it into the melt and pour soap. I then poured the soap into this mold:


I used my fingers to move the batter around until it cooled enough to get it out of each section. Then, I smashed it in my hands until it was all evenly textured, rolled it, and then tried to smooth the outside. The result was SO MUCH BETTER!!!!


They really look like gumballs!!!! So, now it's off to Lowes with my hubby so we can get some hardware to create a soap mold in order to create my first challenging soap. Getting REALLY excited about this now! I just have to figure out what to do with the top. Any suggestions???? 

Post a Comment