More Essential Oils Today!

I'm pretty excited because I was able to pick up some more essential oils today at The Vitamin Shoppe here in town. In my last post I described the ones that I purchased. But, I didn't realize at the time that in order to create complex scents, you need to have a base, middle and top "note" (scent). I had tons of top notes and base notes, but no mid notes. So...off to The Vitamin Shoppe I went.  Here's what I got:


BERGAMOT:  The bottle says this is an uplifting scent and I have to agree! It has a citrus scent to it - much like lime or lemon. It's pretty zesty! I think I really like this one. I see it in so many scent blends so this was a must on my list.








LEMONGRASS:  The bottle says this is an inspiring scent and I'm not quite sure I agree. It's not offensive...but it's not my favorite either. But, I do have to say it does have an interesting smell. I do smell a hint of lemon in there and there is also a strong, green type smell as well. This is another one I see in many blends.






ROSEMARY:  The bottle says this is an activating scent, not sure I understand what that means. I've smelled fresh rosemary and it smells NOTHING like this scent. What I do smell is something that is very medicine smelling, kind of similar to tea tree oil. But again...it's popular, so I bought it.







YLANG YLANG III:  The bottle says this is a sensual smell - I have to agree! There are so many warm undertones to this oil. I can see how this would go well with things like florals and other warm scented oils.








SPEARMINT:  The bottle says this is animating. Well, again not sure what that means but let me say if you've ever smelled spearmint chewing gum, this is a DEAD RINGER!!! Also, it's probably the only scent that my family all agreed was the least offensive. LOL - my husband and kids are really picky :)







CINNAMON LEAF:  The bottle says this scent is revitalizing. I really smell the strong, spicy scent of cinnamon in this. Wasn't quite sure what to expect when I saw it was the leaf of the cinnamon. I expected a little more of a green smell, but I was wrong. This is really one of my favorites.







LAVENDER:  The bottle says this scent is calming and relaxing. THAT IT IS!!!! Oh man...I have to say lavender is one of my favorite scents and having this one was a MUST to me. I cannot wait to mix this with some other oils to see what fun combos I can come up with!






Tonight I'm going to be learning more about blending essential oils. From what I have read so far, I see there are suggested percentages for each "note" that you use. I don't remember what these are off the top of my head, but that is why I'm researching, right? :)  Tomorrow I'l be making bath bombs with my 9 year old son. I'll be trying some of my new oils in them and see how it goes!

Post a Comment