Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious Soap



Today I received an amazing Mother's Day gift from my husband and kids...the gift of time to make a new and exciting soap.

 I saw this on Soaping 101's YouTube channel. It's called Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious Soap.

The design for this soap is created by dropping dots of soap into a flat mold using squirt bottles. Then, you drop dots of a different color on top of the first color and so on.... I knew needed a really slow moving recipe because it was going to take some time to get all the batter into the mold.

I opted to try something with canola oil which I've heard helps to slow a recipe. I also decided to soap at around 90 degrees as well as use full water in the recipe (38%) so I would have the maximum time possible to finish the job before my batter became too thick to squeeze.

Here's the slow moving recipe that I found:

30% Olive Oil
30% Canola Oil
25% Lard
15% Coconut
Water: 38%
Superfat: 5%
Temperature: 90 degrees

For this one, I used 6 colors - the most I've used to date!

Lilac, Green, White, Teal, Gold and Red

Inside the bottles you can see the different colored micas which were dissolved in oils. I mixed the batter until just emulsification and then poured the batter into the six bottles I had waiting. It was a little messier than I would have liked, but I have a feeling that I might just be a messy soaper :)


I decided to use my 6x6 mold because I wanted to try two different cuts with this design. You'll see why once I unmold it and cut it - it's VERY cool! After shaking my batter in the bottles to mix the colors, it was time to start. So...here we go!




Finally after about 20 minutes of dotting, I got to the final product and let me tell you....my brain was a little fried. Keeping track of all 6 colors was fun, but tedious! 


I absolutely CANNOT WAIT to cut this one!!! But, I'll have to wait at least 24-48 hours because I used such a slow moving batter. I really love the way it looks - especially using bright colors together. My husband took the pictures while I was soaping. Another Mother's Day gift to me :)

I'll post pictures of the cut once I have it done. In the meantime, check out this video of Soaping 101's tutorial of this fun soap!




UPDATE:  Well, impatient me cut this soap too soon - 24 hours after pouring. I have to remember that when I use a slow moving recipe that the soap will be too soft to cut until it hits the 48 hour mark. Still, turned out okay - not quite the contrast I'm seeing in Soaping 101's video, but still it was pretty cool! Next time I try this I'll use brighter colors, pour more little circles and more carefully and then wait a full 48 hours before I try cutting. Still, had a TON of fun!

2 comments

Unknown May 12, 2015 2:23 PM

I can't wait to see this cut! I am so impressed with your curiosity and courage in soaping! It wasn't until my third year that I started playing with recipe, color, and design. That's when I found Amy's challenges. I look forward to reading more on your blog. Happy soaping!

Julie Boesen May 13, 2015 4:27 PM

Thanks Janelle :) I've always been a "head first" kind of girl which is both a blessing and a curse at the same time - LOL. I am so glad you are enjoying my posts! I'm truly in love with soaping!

Post a Comment