A Challenge and My First Wood Mold

I was reading on soapmakingforum.com that there is a woman named Amy who runs a soap making challenge on her site Great Cakes Soapworks Co. So, I decided to go check it out.
For a small fee, you gain entry into the challenge as well as detailed instructions in written and video form as well as recipes you can use in order to complete the challenge. Oh, and did I mention the winner gets a $50 gift certificate to Mad Oils? YES! I’ve wanted to try their micas since I started researching how to make CP soap!
I looked at last month’s entries into the landscape challenge and oh my gosh…there are so many extremely talented soapers out there! I was so impressed with each and every entry that I saw…one was better than the next! 
I decided to enter for the next 3 months. This month’s challenge is the spin swirl. You need a flat mold in order to do this challenge. I’m so lucky to have a hubby who is good with his hands – check out my new flat mold!!! 

The molds inside dimensions are 10 ½” x 7 ¾” x 3 ½”. It holds about 5 pounds of soap so I’ll be able to use this for many years to come – feeling so blessed! He did a great job on it – the two longer sides have hinges so they are able to be pulled down easily. The remaining two sides join with a lock and are completely removable from the mold. YES!
Access to underneath the side walls of this mold are going to make lining a BREEZE! It is also going to make unmolding fast and easy. So excited!!!!
I plan on making my entry tomorrow. I have the recipe Amy provided and I’m going through my micas to pick some that will stand out against each other. I’m thinking something like green, blue, red and white. I think those should be pretty good, I’ll have to use a lot of mica to really get some deep colors. Oh…and how should I pour this??? So many questions J 

Post a Comment