Perfecting the recipe - quest for a base batch



I found myself with the afternoon off, so I decided to improve on my 4th batch of goat milk soap by doing something I haven't done before - I added butters and rose kaolin clay.

I mixed my lye water outside the house and left it there until I was ready to incorporate that into the oils. My eyes feel SOoooo much better! It actually turned out nicely because the breeze outside seemed to cool off the lye pretty quickly.

I melted my coconut oil and lard and then added my cocoa butter and mango butter to melt. Once melted it was time to add the liquid oils: sweet almond oil and castor oil. I poured in the goat milk and gave it a quick blast with the stick blender to incorporate both together.

I added the lye and mixed until everything was incorporated and then added about 1t. of rose kaolin clay. This turned the batter to this:


Interesting! It's somewhere between a deep rose color and a ruddy red. It will be interesting to see what happens when I unmold this tomorrow! But for now, I sprayed it with rubbing alcohol and put it into the flat cereal box so it can do it's soapy thing. 

I'll add some pictures to this post tomorrow to show you how they turned out.

UPDATE:  

Here is a picture of the soap unmolded. Thankfully, the color lightened up to a nice dusty rose color. I have to admit, I took the smallest piece and tried it - the feeling it leaves on your hands is difficult to describe! It's soft and makes your hands feel like glass. What I mean it they are smooth which is kind of strange, but I have to admit that I like it!





Post a Comment