Diving into Color


I am so excited! I ordered some mica sample colors from Nurture Soaps and they came today! So....guess what time it it? Yup! Time to make more soap :)

I also ordered a mold. It's made by Crafter's Choice and it features 4 mold cavities; each 5oz of oval soappy goodness!! Yes, I'm weird like that sometimes.

So, I'm using the same recipe that I used before with a twist. I wanted to see what a soap felt like using some kind of milk. I'm using what I have on hand, so I am going to be putting unsweetened Almond Milk into the soap. I'm going to use water to dissolve the lye and then put the almond milk into the batter once I've combined the lye and oils.

Everything went fine until I added the almond milk. That's when the batter began to RUSH to trace! So...it was a race against time to get the colors mixed. I used colors that my 9 year old picked out:  turquoise and gold. Although, when it was mixed, the gold wasn't very gold...more like a muddy yellow.

I plopped the colors into the molds and then took a toothpick to move the top around a bit. I think they turned out pretty fun! I know my son really loved how the colors looked.

UPDATE:  This soap feels pretty good! It's bubbly and silky. Think the increase in bubbles is probably coming from the sugars in the almond milk. My hubby likes this one better than the original. Colors are bleeding a little, but I used WAY more than was necessary. Still learning after all :) Feels good in the hand, not slimy.

Post a Comment