Drop Swirl Soap with my son

Last night I decided that it was soap making time because my husband was out of the house and my son was anxious for something to do. So, what better way to pass the time than to give my 9 year old my Iphone and let him shoot pictures of making soap!

Now for any of you who have kids you know that anything can and will happen when you give them control over taking pictures. For my son, he took the opportunity to take a selfie.

The other thing is that kids don't always line up shots the same way that an adult would. So, many of these pictures are a little blurry (or a LOT blurry in some cases). But, he was so thrilled to be included as my 'official' photographer:)

This is for one of my Facebook groups. I decided to use some very bright colors: vibrance blue, red raspberry and green apple from Nurture Soaps. I've said this before and I'll say it again...I LOVE NURTURE SOAPS COLORS!!!! In this shot not only do you get a glimpse at my messy soaping table, but you can see the three colors.


I used a recipe of 40% olive, 30% coconut, 25% lard and 5% castor. 5% superfat. I did a 2:1 ratio of lye to water. You can see my pre-made lye water already sitting at a 50/50 which I am finding makes life so much more convenient!

I used my slab mold that my husband made for me. But, it has a leaky side to it (which I found out later). I poured a shallow base first in order to do my drop swirl. I only mixed the soap until emulsification. Looking back I wonder if my batter was a little too thin.



I tried pouring from different heights - first from really high and then I dropped down and kept pouring the batter. We'll see what this looks like tonight after work when I unmold it!



For the top I decided to do a little Taiwan swirl with the remaining colors I had. I have to say I really like this technique because it's fast, easy and created a fun effect!



Here is the soap all dolled up and ready to be put to bed. So, I put the lid on it and cleaned up my soaping supplies. My son was thrilled to be a part of making soap with me! He really got a kick out of taking those pictures.



What night would be complete without a selfie of Mom & Jack!


Post a Comment